Rebel R.O.O.Ts Book Club
Posted by Tarajah
Rebel ROOTS (Reading Our Own Truths) Book Club is created:
- To expose literature written by and about the multi-cultural community.
- To strengthen the community’s recognition of literature by reading a selection diverse books varying in genre from fiction to non-fiction, history to social commentary and autobiographies/biographies.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of constructive opinions on literature and culture.
The book list is here to open up a conscious stream of knowledge and with the group discussions engage the use of critical thinking skills.
Book Club-First Six Months
- If Sons, Then Heirs: A Novel, Lorene Cary (July)
- Beneath the Lion’s Gaze: A Novel, Maaza Mengiste (August)
- The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors, Dr. Frances Cress Welsing (September)
- The Sexy Part of the Bible, Kola Boof (October)
- African Origins of Major “Western Religions” , Yosef A. A. Ben-Jochannan (November)
- Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars, Sikivu (December)
If you are interested in participating in the book club discussions that will be held at the end of every month on a Sunday afternoon please email RebelArtistry@gmail.com for more details, as well on the fan page of Rebel Artistry on Facebook.
Feel free to recommend any good books. Open to all suggestions.